My name is Dan. I am a writer, entrepreneur, software developer and ultrarunner. By day I am cofounder and Head of Engineering at Almanac, and by night I write for your intellectual enjoyment. On weekends I run. Lots.
My writings are strongly shaped by 15 years of insight meditation, 20 years of software development, 10 years of building startups, 7 years of dealing with an anxiety disorder, and 4 years of training in ultra-endurance.
Most of my advice also has a strong contemplative flavour that often returns to our own self-knowledge and awareness as a central theme in our flourishing, or what Aristotle called Eudaimonia.
This blog is the practical and pragmatic arm of my writings, where I share experiments, books and advice that I’ve found useful. My hope is that you leave each post feeling better equipped to face the weight of existence with another arrow or two in your quiver.
Delivery matters, and my goal to share these insights with a wry smile and a keen nose for bullshit whilst retaining an optimism about what each of us can achieve.
Where should I start?
If you're new here, you could start with my two big picture pieces on why meditation matters and why fitness matters. In the early days I also wrote pieces on weight loss and how to become more active.
I like to experiment and play:
- Maybe you're interested in why I stopped drinking for six months?
- You should read my report of a 30-day Digital Declutter, which I highly recommend everyone try, for the sake of your mental wellbeing.
- Why do I love Huel as a meal replacement? Check out A Whole Lot of Reasons to Try Huel.
- I also experimented with writing 700 words a day and publishing them straight onto the blog.
- I'm always tweaking my training to be able to run further and you can find all my ultramarathon race reports here. I also wrote a few reports of some of my training runs and rides under the title Go Long.
Maybe some day we'll break bread together? Delicious, home-made bread.
Note: I use Amazon affiliate links when recommending some products. This means that if you click through and buy a book (for example), then I make a small percentage. This is an easy way of generating a little revenue from my writings, with no downside for you. I don't recommended anything I haven't used or read myself.
And again in legalese: Dan Bartlett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk